St Spyridon College - Co-Education

Enrolment Policy and Procedures 

All applications for enrolment are accompanied by:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Baptismal Certificate (where applicable)
  • Reference by Priest (where applicable)
  • Report / Profile from School, Preschool or Child Care Centre (as applicable).

All other things being equal, priority is given to siblings, children of Alumni, Orthodox families, Clergy of Canonical Orthodox Churches, Parish Executive, members of staff, as well as benefactors’ children and grandchildren (identified by a confirmation of letter from the Parish).

Entry into St Spyridon College is based on assessment/academic entrance examinations, reports, references and interviews with the Head of College. A student’s track record including academic performance, attendance, behaviour and general conduct will be considered in making a decision to accept an enrolment.

1. Kinder Minus One to Year 12 Entry

A school entry assessment is conducted, to attest to the child’s readiness to commence formal schooling and includes:

  • Oral communication skills
  • Literacy (print concepts, letter identification, phonemic awareness, sight words)
  • Fine motor skills / physical development
  • Social behaviours, interaction skills and emotional maturity
  • Information from Reports/Portfolio profiles from pre-entry institutions
  • Information from reports from other professionals, for example Psychologists/ therapists.

In making a decision to accept a student, their academic ability, behaviour and the welfare and safety of other students, and whether the student can be provided with an appropriate education program will be major factors. Information will be sought from previous education institutions, including child care centres, preschools and past reports and specialist practitioners.

Enrolment for the Kinder Minus One program is only for children who will be attending Kindergarten the following year. It is a condition of enrolment that children are completely independent at toileting.

2. Cut-off dates 

Children can start Kindergarten at the beginning of the school year if they turn 5, on or before 31 May that year. For Kinder Minus One, the child must be 4 at the beginning of the year. By law, all children must be in compulsory schooling by their 6th birthday. Enrolments are processed in order of receipt and maintaining a balance of boys and girls. For priority to be given at the Kindergarten level, applications must be received in the first year after birth.

3. Acceptance Agreement 

Placement offers are made to parents in writing. To accept a placement, parents must return a signed Acceptance Agreement, which outlines their commitment to paying all fees and charges, and their agreement to support the school’s policies, ethos and culture.

4. Progression to Upper School 

During Year 10 and to progress to the next level of schooling for Years 11 and 12 students will need to formally submit an Expression of Interest in continuing their education at St Spyridon College. The application should be made after giving consideration to the commitment that this entails.

All students who meet the following criteria will be invited to continue their Years 11 and 12 studies at St Spyridon College:

  • Apply diligence and sustained effort to their studies.
  • Complete set assignments in the set time, and to a standard that: – meets course requirements – reflects a student’s best effort
  • Attend all classes unless able to provide relevant documentation to explain absence.
  • Abide by the Student Principles and follow the school’s Code of Conduct.
  • Support activities and programs that enhance the school’s ethos and culture.

Students who accept the invitation to continue their studies at the College will sign an Acceptance Agreement that is co-signed by parents.

5. Withdrawal Notice 

It is College policy that a full School term’s notice of withdrawal of a child from the College be given to the Head of College in writing. If this is not provided, payment of one school term’s fees in lieu of notice will be required.