Attention all parents and Employees
UPDATE ON COVID-19 NOVEL CORONAVIRUS -MEASURES TO MINIMISE RISK
This update is based on the latest advice provided by the Department of Health NSW and the Education Department of New South Wales.
Once again we urge all parents and employees to read and comply with the requirements, in the interest of keeping our students and school community safe.
In summary, the students currently excluded from St Spyridon College are those who:
- have been in or transited through China within the last 14 days
- have been in Iran within the last 14 days
- have been in Northern Italy
- have arrived from the Republic of Korea after 5 March 2020
- are under medical assessment
- have been diagnosed with the COVID-19 or have had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 infection.
Any student or staff member who has been in or transited through mainland China or has returned from Iran or the Republic of Korea after 5 March 2020, will be excluded from school attendance, for a period of 14 days after leaving China, Iran or Republic of Korea. This will remain in place until formal advice from NSW Health is provided to schools that this arrangement is to cease.
If a staff member or student has become unwell within 14 days of returning from China, Iran, or the Republic of Korea or if they have been diagnosed with COVID-19 they will need a medical certificate confirming they are able to return to school.
Those travelling from other countries which may have confirmed cases of COVID-19 should monitor for symptoms. If symptoms develop they should self-isolate immediately and seek medical assessment from their local health practitioner. These countries include: Cambodia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, South Korea.
I strongly encourage any member of our school community exhibiting flu-like symptoms to see their doctor and remain at home.
TRAVEL TO GREECE FOR THE PARISH PILGRIMAGE TO GREECE
With the current COVID-19 situation, the safety of students and staff is paramount. The NSW Department of Education and NSW Health have advised government schools that all overseas excursions are required to be placed on hold until further notice and to consider rescheduling later in the year.
The planned Parish Pilgrimage to Greece is scheduled for later in the year- that is 19th June to 24th July 2020. We will therefore monitor all travel advice of the relevant Authorities and act on that advice closer to the time.
VISITS TO AGED CARE FACILITIES
In accordance with NSW Health advice, our students will not visit aged care facilities until further notice is provided.
The College will encourage everyone to pay special attention to hygiene which includes:
- Wash hands regularly, and always after toileting and before eating.
- Carry and use personal hand sanitiser as needed.
- Avoid hand-shaking and respect the personal space of other people, especially when coughing or blowing your nose.
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Always cover your mouth with your elbow when you cough
- Always wash your hands after blowing your nose
- Dispose of used tissues in the bin.
We ask everyone to be conscious of the health of others and refrain from attending school if unwell.
We appeal to everyone in our school community to work with us to minimise risk to the health of our students and the whole community.
Mrs E. Stefanou Haag
Head of College
(As at 6th March 2020)