St Spyridon College offers Hospitality VET qualification SIT20421 Certificate II in Cookery and is delivered under the Association of Independent Schools RTO (90413).
The role vocational education and training (VET) courses play in helping students prepare for further education, training, employment, and lifelong learning is widely recognised by key stakeholders in education.
The Hospitality course is designed to provide students with appropriate learning opportunities that will enable them to acquire a range of skills specifically related to the hospitality industry. A dual accreditation course, whereby students achieve a Certificate II accreditation and the Higher School Certificate, contributing to an ATAR. VET courses provide credit towards Recognised VET qualifications within the Australian Qualifications Framework.
At St Spyridon College our students are given the opportunity to study VET and grow beyond the classroom to gain skills that could assist them with future employment and a steppingstone to future studies within Hospitality, Events and Tourism.
Competency topics include:
- Use hygienic practices for food safety
- Participate in safe work practices
- Work effectively with others
- Source and use information on the hospitality industry
- Use food preparation equipment
- Clean kitchen Premises and equipment
- Maintain the quality of perishable items
- Prepare simple dishes
- Participate in safe food handling practices
- Produce dishes using basic methods of cookery
- Use cookery skills effectively
- Produce appetisers and salads
- Produce vegetables, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes